Monday, March 7, 2011

Lottery Tickets

I used to hate the idea of my parents burning their money on lottery tickets. It was horrible! Dollar after dollar going toward a chance at making it big. But everyone knows it would never happen. Looking back and still watching my mother buy lottery tickets every now and then has shown me that it isn't the money that motivates us, instead it's the hope, the possibility that motivates us. The lottery gives people something to believe in. An escape from hard times, a possibility that one day we will get ourselves out of this mess. So I stopped trying to end my mother's love for lottery tickets. In a way it's a form of happiness to her, somewhere deep inside, she knows that we will never win the lotto, but it's the hope that we might win that keeps her going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment